Re: [HACKERS] Development installation fails

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Development installation fails
Date: 1999-11-24 19:39:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> For some reason I can never properly install a build from the development

It looks to me like you have a conflict against a production
installation on the same machine. It is *not sufficient* to install
into an alternate directory; you must also select an alternate port
number. See the new 'run_check.sh' regress test driver for a complete
example.

Jan reported recently that there were places that didn't pay attention
to the -D switch, which is a bug that will likely bite you if you are
trying to install into a directory other than the configured-in one.
However that doesn't seem to be the issue here.

Personally I build test versions with

./configure --with-pgport=5440 --prefix=/users/postgres/testversion

(adapt port and prefix to taste, of course) and then I don't have to
worry about remembering to do the install specially.

I dunno about the other problems you are seeing. I run a full build
and install from scratch at least a couple times a week, just to be
sure that current sources are not broken. They weren't as of ... hmm
... 20:55 EST 22-Nov was my last CVS pull. Anyway:

> ~/pgsql/src$ make
> bombs out somewhere in backend/optimizer with internal compiler error (gcc
> 2.8.1) and/or weird make file complaints (GNU make 3.76.1). Try again with
> egcs 2.91.66 works.

Hmm. I have been using make 3.76.1 right along with no problems. What
were the make complaints again? Also, I'm still running gcc 2.7.2.2,
so I'm a bit surprised to hear that 2.8.1 crashes. (Or maybe not ...
there's a reason I never updated to 2.8.* ...)

> ~/postgres-cur/bin$ ./initdb --pglib=/home/peter/postgres-cur/lib \
> --pgdata=/home/peter/postgres-cur/data

You may need to have env variables PGDATA and PGLIB set during initdb
(at least, the install docs recommended that last I looked) and you
definitely need to have /home/peter/postgres-cur/bin in your PATH.

It looks to me like initdb.sh may need to do "export PGDATA PGLIB" to
make sure that whatever values it gets from command line switches are
passed down to the programs it invokes... the PATH is just something
you have to get right...

> Creating template database in /home/peter/postgres-cur/data/base/template1
> -boot: invalid option -- x

I think you were already invoking the wrong version of postgres here;
the current sources do support -x (although bootstrap.c's usage()
neglects to list it). If it wasn't listed in your PATH ahead of the
6.5 version, that's your problem right there.