Re: remove contrib/xml2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: remove contrib/xml2
Date: 2010-02-01 18:38:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> My feeling is that if it's as flakey and unreliable as it currently
> is, we shouldn't ship it.  Removing it from CVS doesn't mean "you
> can't use this any more"; this is open source.  It just means people
> will have to go and get an old copy out of CVS and presumably in so
> doing they will be aware that we've removed it for a reason.  We have
> a well-deserved reputation for quality and I would like to see us
> preserve that.

[ shrug... ]  It is not any more flaky than it's been since it was put in.
The people who have been depending on it presumably have use-patterns
for which it doesn't fail, and we're not going to be doing them a
service by ripping out functionality for which we can't offer a
replacement.

As for the "quality" argument, contrib modules are not guaranteed
to be of the same standard as the core code; anyone who thinks they are
should disabuse themselves of the notion by reading some of that code.