Re: have you seen this?

From: Greg Copeland <greg(at)copelandconsulting(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>,Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>,robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: have you seen this?
Date: 2004-05-27 19:17:32
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 12:27, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Well, the first question I would ask *us* is whether or not PHP programmers
> *are* among our main targets for advocacy.   Based on my experience at
> PHPCon, I would say that 80% of PHP coders would be well served by SQLite --
> MySQL is more powerful than they need or want, let alone us.
>
> Not that I'm writing off the PHP community.  Given PostgreSQL's powerful
> functions, views, and other in-database code, it makes a really dynamic
> pairing with a lightweight scripting language like PHP -- one which I've used
> to great effect.   But I think that the target audience for this message is
> not necessarily existing PHP jockeys, but rather coders in client-side
> languages, and database designers used to Oracle and MSSQL, looking to move
> to the web.

IMO, that's a great point.  PostgreSQL seems like it's a good DBA's
database and bluntly, MySQL is not.  The inverse, I believe, can also be
said.  Which is, PostgreSQL is currently not a non-DBA's database.
MySQL, on the other hand, gets lots of exposure to non-DBA's and does
quite well.  We really need some advocacy that talks to non-DBA users
rather than the more technical crowd where PostgreSQL has long been well
received.  I would think the PHP crowd would fall more toward the
non-DBA direction.

--
Greg Copeland, Owner
greg(at)copelandconsulting(dot)net