Re: getGeneratedKeys method

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Ceki Gulcu <cekgul(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: getGeneratedKeys method
Date: 2004-05-27 16:44:14
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Ceki,

Couple of things:

1) alot of persistence layers use a GenerateKey interface to generate
the key ahead of time, that way you can use multiple implementations for
whichever db you use.

2) MSSQL for sure will not let you insert any value into the serial
column.

3) there's yet another option for serial values in postgres which is
cacheing, if you were going to increment by 10, you may wish to cache by
100 which means that for each connection it will only have to write to
the backend 1 time for every 10 fetch's

Dave