Re: Status update on "new" website, testing needed

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Status update on "new" website, testing needed
Date: 2004-05-12 18:08:45
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 13:49, Alexey Borzov wrote:
> > Another thing I was wondering about. Once an article is translated, if
> > someone goes back in and edits the original article, should it mark the
> > article as not translated? That is how I did it on the advocacy site...
> > well, actually I kept track of it the item was either new (never
> > translated) or stale (needed updating but had been translated.)
>
> Oh, you are right here.
>
> I think a timestamp is needed in the table containing texts and a trigger to
> change that on update. Then it'll be possible to check whether the master was
> modified after the translation and mark this fact.

Guess I need to look at your schema... the way it's done on advocacy is
that the translation entry isnt created for a language until the first
time an article is translated. once its created its marked "up to date",
and then if the original text is edited we mark all existing
translations "not up to date". a UNION query grabs all non-existent and
not up to date and presents a lit for translators... timestamps could
work, though you'd have to track it for each translation...

> > On the doc comment interface, what is the difference between rejected
> > and deleted? Maybe that's not the right question... when would I want to
> > reject a comment and not delete it? Also we used to be able to edit
> > comments on the doc page themselves which was handy to see the comment
> > in context, any chance we can still do that?
>
> Deleted comments are, um, deleted.
> Rejected are marked but kept in the DB, they are obviously not shown on the site.
>
> If you feel that it's not needed, I'll leave only the 'delete' option.

What status are new comments put in? If they have no status, delete or
approved seems to cover it... anyone else have an opinion on that? btw
doesnt hurt to leave reject bit for now so it would be low priority even
if we remove it.

> I didn't see anything for editing the comments in the current site's code, BTW.

hmm... Dave dont you have some crazy bit of URL strings you pass in to
be able edit comments on a page? or maybe it just shows the entry
number and you have to manually delete the entries?

> > Oh, and one other thing, how do we add a new language? I'd like to walk
> > through that process if I could.
>
> Manually, by adding the language to the array[s] in
> portal/system/global/languages.php

OK, once that is done, how does a translator know what needs to be
translated... guess this is kind of a doc thing :-)

> > Hmm... since none of the above are bugs... go to documentation section
> > and click on the FAQ/PDF links, I notice they are broken. :-) Otherwise
> > everything else seemed pretty functional... great job
>
> That's once again a content issue. ;]

:-)

Robert Treat