Re: Problems when inserting a very large sequence of records

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marcelo \(AdSolutions\)" <marcelo(at)adsolutions(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems when inserting a very large sequence of records
Date: 2001-10-29 18:49:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Marcelo \(AdSolutions\)" <marcelo(at)adsolutions(dot)com(dot)br> writes:
> I am experiencing a problem when I was inserting a lot of records to one
> table.
> At the end of process (I was insering about 15,000 lines) after the COMMIT
> statement some
> records were not stored. No error messages, no warnings. If I decrease
> the number of inserted lines to 1,500 they are stored.
> Do you know what is happening ?
> Note: I am using RedHat Lynux, Postgresql version 7.3 on a Windows Me client
> machine with odbc version 7.0.7. I connect to postgresql using ODBC API
> fuctions.

My guess is some problem with your client software. People insert more
records than that in one transaction all the time, and we haven't heard
any such bug reports. You might try turning on query logging on the
server (see debug_print_query config parameter) so you can see what's
actually getting sent to the server.