Re: [SQL] Postgres as backend to Backup System

From: "Kent L(dot) Nasveschuk" <knasveschuk(at)wareham(dot)k12(dot)ma(dot)us>
To: Theodore Petrosky <tedpet5(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres PHP <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Postgres SQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] Postgres as backend to Backup System
Date: 2004-04-27 18:10:25
Lists: pgsql-php pgsql-sql

Hello,

I use mtx and mt commands to load and unload tapes from the autoloader
and the drive unit. The system has evolved and is fairly elaborate. This
is an automated cron job that rotates through the magazine, writing to
tape sending me the log files that describes what archives, files and
directories are on any particular tape.

For the MACs OSX I run a cron job that creates tar archives. Rsync comes
on OSX. You can't use the normal tar command because it deletes the
resource forks that the MAC file system uses. There is a hacked version
available on the Internet that is called hfstar and works exactly the
same way. I grab these archives off hours using rsync and send them to
tape.

A version of cron and rsync also works on Netware 5.1. I use cron to
shutdown services and restart after they have been backed up. Rsync
works the same as on Linux.

The problem that I ran into is that all of thes log files are mailed to
me on a continual basis. I am familiar with how everything goes
together, but it isn't accessible to anyone else. I wanted to develop a
web based basckup system with backend database using Postgres to store
information about the location of files on tapes.

I also wanted to make the scope of this broad enough so that if you had
different types of autoloaders or stand alone tape drive at multiple
locations you could store that information in there also.