Re: ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN column SERIAL -- unexpected results

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Rod Taylor <rbt(at)barchord(dot)com>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN column SERIAL -- unexpected results
Date: 2001-11-28 05:36:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> So, are we now all agreed that we have to fill in the existing rows with
> the default value?

I think there's no debate that that's what the spec says to do.  There
might be some discontent in the ranks about whether to follow SQL92's
marching orders, however.  Doubling the filesize of the table to apply
changes that the user might not even want seems a heavy penalty.

> If so, I can document that in the TODO list and
> discard this patch.

This is certainly a TODO or TOARGUEABOUT item, not something to be
patched on short notice.