Re: OSCon Update

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OSCon Update
Date: 2004-04-09 17:38:22
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 13:19, scott.marlowe wrote:
> On 9 Apr 2004, Robert Treat wrote:
> > I haven't given things a thorough look over yet, but I did notice that
> > Joe Celko will be presenting (it's on the my$ql track of all places),
> > which might be of interest to PostgreSQL users... in fact, Josh, do you
> > know if we can get that tagged into our track as well? It doesn't
> > conflict with anything in our track AFAICS.
>
> Yeah, a tutorial on Advanced SQL in the MySQL Track? and it covers things
> like check() constraints. Seems like there should just be a plain
> "database tutorials" track, as his being part of MySQL makes little or no
> sense.

Actually looking at it a bit more, this does seem like a mistake because
there is another my$ql specific tutorial going on at the same time...
"Data Warehousing with MySQL and OSS Tools"... while our track has no
tutorial at that time.

> I'm pretty sure Joe is on one or two of our mailing lists, so if he sees
> this maybe he can clarify why they put him on the MySQL list instead of
> Postgresql or firebird. I'm certain MySQL is NOT his favorite open source
> database.

Is anyone here close to the firebird community? They didn't actually get
there own track, but I am guessing that one could put together a "psuedo
track" for them based on the existing tutorials/talks. I think my talk,
while based on PostgreSQL, would be applicable to them, and I think a
lot of the other presentations on our track (and ones like Celko's)
would as well.

Robert Treat