Re: reduce downtime when upgrading 7.3 -> 7.4

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)pingpong(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reduce downtime when upgrading 7.3 -> 7.4
Date: 2004-02-10 14:33:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 21:35, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We use postgresql for rather large databases. For a typical installation, a
> pg_restore takes a couple of hours, at least (the dumpfiles are usually 2-4
> gigabytes or so, including BLOBs). The machines are expected to be up 24/7,
> so this dump/restore procedure makes upgrading unpopular. Is there any
> (safe) way to speed this process up?
>
> If pg_upgrade is not a good idea, how can I speed up pg_restore? Best way
> to set things like fsync etc in postgresql.conf? Will it make a big
> difference?

yes, setting fsync off should make a significant difference. I usually
recommend it cause if there is a machine failure during restore I will
want to start the process again anyway. Other items you should probably
change are cranking up sort_mem significantly (if your restore is the
only process running, let it take up most of the ram on the box) and you
can increase check_point segments as well. HTH

Robert Treat