Re: Resurrecting pg_upgrade

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Postgresql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Resurrecting pg_upgrade
Date: 2003-12-12 20:59:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 15:42, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alternative thought: just recommend that if possible, people take
> a filesystem dump of their old PGDATA directory after stopping
> the old postmaster. This would be sufficient for retreating to
> the prior version if needed. It might or might not be slower
> than copying all the files to a new PGDATA ...

Certainly the easier path code wise :-) Being the belt, suspenders and
steel tip boots (foot gun protection) type that I am, I would make a
backup even if pg_upgrade copies all the data files. Having pg_upgrade
copy the data files give you an extra layer of protection if desired,
and can possibly save an admin who fails to get a good backup of the old
PGDATA for what ever reason.