Re: [HACKERS] Mapping Oracle types to PostgreSQL types

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: jm(at)poure(dot)com
Cc: Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jpargudo(at)free(dot)fr>,Vincent Harcq <vha(at)audaxis(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Mapping Oracle types to PostgreSQL types
Date: 2003-10-20 12:52:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 09:11, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Dear Jean-Paul,
>
> > Please tell me if my experience can help you in any way, I'd be really
> > glad in participating your project.
>
> Thanks for your proposal, welcome in the team.
>
> In short, we plan to port Compiere to PostgreSQL and submit the changes back
> to Compiere team. There is no evidence so far that Compiere will accept the
> changes as their main developer sells Oracle licenses.
>
> At present, the team is:
> - Vincent Harcq <vha(at)audaxis(dot)com> for the Java part or Compiere.
> - Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jpargudo(at)free(dot)fr> and Jean-Michel Pouré <jm(at)poure(dot)com> for
> the database migration.
>
> > I can offer public CVS, web, etc.. for the project if you want.
>
> Thanks. During the week-end, I will set up a first web page and will contact
> you back on Monday.
>
> In a first time, our goal could be to describe the port in details, so to
> convince Compiere community to migrate to PostgreSQL. Without support from
> the Compiere community, there can be no port...

by "community" do you means users or developers? there are certainly
enough users interested in a postgresql version that i think it would be
viable to fork it if the compiere developers aren't willing to
cooperate. certainly would be more work, but if you could get a stable
version I think it could be successful.

Robert Treat