Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread

From: Sterling Hughes <sterling(at)bumblebury(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>,"Advocacy (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread
Date: 2003-06-23 16:56:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-general
> > Uhmm.  MySQL AB are not "playing" the PHP community. I happen to know
> > the folks doing the licensing quite well, and while I don't particularly
> > like how its been handled, I'm certain there was/is no intent to play
> > PHP.
>
> The primary reason for changing the 4.x connect lib to GPL was to
> encourage people to buy commercial software licenses.
>
> In my opinion, this is playing the GPL community.  PHP happens to be part
> of the community they are playing.
>
> What other reason can there be for switching their licensing of their
> connect libs while also making sure that 4.x won't talk to an app using
> the LGPL'd 3.x connection library?

Well, sure they're playing the GPL community.  But I don't really care
about that. I personally wish the GPL was burned on every corner; I
prefer the "Free as in Free" approach.

PHP is not a part of the GPL community.  We aren't even GPL compatible.
In fact, you'll find most PHP core devs have a strong disliking for the
GPL, and its "Free as in join the church and get a meal" approach.

-Sterling
--
"Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to
 build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying