Re: Notice and share memory corruption

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Notice and share memory corruption
Date: 2000-09-18 05:30:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee> writes:
> I get the following on untuned Linux (Redhat 6.2) using stock 7.0.2
> rpm-s

> NOTICE:  RegisterSharedInvalid: SI buffer overflow
> NOTICE:  InvalidateSharedInvalid: cache state reset

> Actually I get many of them ;(

AFAIK, these are just noise in 7.0.  The only reason you see them is
we haven't got round to removing the messages or downgrading them to
elog(DEBUG).

> I'm running a script that does a bunch of mixed INSERTS, UPDATES,
> DELETES and SELECTS.

I'll bet you also have some backends sitting idle with open
transactions?  The combination of idle and active backends is what
usually provokes SI overruns.

> after getting that I'm unable to vacuum database until I reset the OS

Define your terms more carefully, please.  What do you mean by
"unable to vacuum" --- what happens *exactly*?  In any case,
surely it doesn't take an OS reboot to recover.  I might believe
you need to restart the postmaster...