Re: Correction of how to use TimeZone by ControlFile(xlog.c)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Cc: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Correction of how to use TimeZone by ControlFile(xlog.c)
Date: 2007-08-03 15:33:15
Lists: pgsql-patches
"Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp> writes:
> I understand the essence which you say. Then, I think that gmtime is an ideal
> there. localtime also takes summer time into consideration. It changes and
> sometimes falls unconsciously. Furthermore, a tzname can't be expressed
> by the present elog....
> Moreover, how about relocating datacenter to New York from the loss Angelus?
> The log is continued.... database log is an audit item. Recently, it is more
> important than a response. And it is used secondarily.

People who find the above arguments compelling would certainly be free
to set their log_timezone to GMT.  Those who don't find them compelling
should not be forced to deal in GMT.  The fact that Postgres has always
logged in system local time, and we've had no complaints about that,
suggests to me that most people prefer local-time logging.