Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date: 2003-03-16 20:41:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Tom Lane kirjutas R, 14.03.2003 kell 19:15:
> Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> writes:
> > So, just to throw out a wild idea: If you're talking about making large
> > changes to the on-the-wire protocol. Have you considered using an existing
> > database protocol?
>
> Yeah, I have. Didn't look promising --- there's no percentage unless
> we're 100% compatible, which creates a lot of problems (eg, can't ship
> type OIDs to frontend anymore).

Surely there is a way to ship type info, even for UDT's (user defined
types) as nowadays most big databases support those.

> What I actually looked into was RDA, but I doubt that TDS would be any
> closer to our needs...

I remember someone started cleaning up IO in order to move it into a
separate module with the aim of making multiple implementations (RDA,
TDS, XML, native JDBC wire protocol if it ever becomes a reality, etc.)
possible.

While not exactly pertinent to new wire protocol this effort if
completed would make it much easier to have backwards compatibility on
the wire level.

Hannu

PS. Another feature I'd like is individually turning off warnings and
notices.

Hannu