Re: [Fwd: Questions on 7.3 version for LinuxWorld]

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Questions on 7.3 version for LinuxWorld]
Date: 2002-12-09 05:11:22
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 23:54, Justin Clift wrote:
> The "92 scheme specification" is the American National Standards
> Organisation (ANSI) SQL92 standard, which specifies the SQL query
> language used by most major relational databases (PostgreSQL, Oracle,
> DB2, Sybase, etc).

"SQL query language" is redundant.

Not sure why there's a need to mention ANSI, as it's not as if there are
competing SQL92 standards :-) And name-dropping standards bodies is a
bit pretentious, IMHO.

The "92 scheme specification" isn't SQL92 (as your first sentence
implies), it's a part of SQL92.

> PostgreSQL has actively been adding ANSI SQL features for many years
> and is now one of the most ANSI SQL compliant databases in existence.
> [is this true?]

Sounds pretty dubious to me.

> Maybe we should use this opportunity to build anticipation?  Something
> like "Because we'll be adding native support for Windows, Point in Time
> recovery, and other advanced features in PostgreSQL 7.4, our initial
> target date is around April 2003".

I still think mentioning a release date, even as an"initial target", is
not appropriate, particularly since it hasn't been discussed yet on
-hackers.

But I'm fine with mentioning some of the possible features in 7.4,
*provided* that you make it clear that those are tentative plans.

Cheers,

Neil
--
Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC