Re: BUG #5741: syslog line length

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Marc Cousin <cousinmarc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #5741: syslog line length
Date: 2011-08-05 22:46:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Noah Misch <noah(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> writes:
> A PG_SYSLOG_LIMIT value that loses data to truncation on nearly every default
> GNU/Linux installation makes for a poor default.

When I changed it, it was on the strength of tests showing that Fedora
8's default syslogger had a limit of 2KB. A quick check shows this is
still the case in Fedora 15. So I'm not convinced that "nearly every"
is anywhere near true.

> How about 896?

But having said that, I could go with 896 (or perhaps 900, which seems
a shade less weird).