Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3
Date: 2003-10-01 22:35:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> When I was reading hackers about the fixes you had made, it stated
> that the index bloat problems should be better. I took
> that as meaning that although it won't be required nearly as often, we
> still may need to reindex occassionaly.

The critical word there is "may". The index compression code covers
some cases and not others. Depending on your usage pattern you might or
might not ever need to reindex. I *think* that most people won't need
to reindex any more, but I'm waiting on field reports from 7.4 to find
out for sure.

In any case, people who aren't upgrading from 7.3 because they think
7.4 won't help them are making a self-fulfilling negative prophecy.