Re: Issue with ReRaise in PG

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Piyush Newe <piyush(dot)newe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issue with ReRaise in PG
Date: 2010-04-23 15:57:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Piyush Newe <piyush(dot)newe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> Please consider the following test case

> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION raisetest() returns void AS $$
>  BEGIN
>    BEGIN
>        RAISE syntax_error;
>    EXCEPTION
>        WHEN syntax_error THEN
>            BEGIN
>                raise notice 'exception thrown in inner block, reraising';
>                RAISE;
>            EXCEPTION
>                WHEN OTHERS THEN
>                    raise notice 'RIGHT - exception caught in innermost
> block';
>            END;
>    END;
>  EXCEPTION
>    WHEN OTHERS THEN
>        raise notice 'WRONG - exception caught in outer block';
>  END;
> $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

> select raisetest();
> NOTICE:  exception thrown in inner block, reraising
> NOTICE:  WRONG - exception caught in outer block

RAISE without parameters is only allowed inside an exception handler,
and what it throws is that handler's exception.  In this example, it is
within an exception handler ---- of the outer block.  So it's allowed,
but it re-throws from that handler.

We could possibly make the above case throw an "improperly placed RAISE"
error instead of doing what it does now, but I don't think there is a
good argument for having it do what you propose.