Re: initdb problem

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Joe Barwell <jbar(at)es(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: initdb problem
Date: 2007-06-22 04:37:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Joe,

This has got to be the longest thread ever to get PostgreSQL running
on the Mac -- but I'm glad you have not given up :).

On Jun 21, 2007, at 12:49 AM, Joe Barwell wrote:

> acorn$ sudo su postgres -c 'pg_ctl start -l logfile -D
> /Library/PostgreSQL8/data'
> Password:
> sh: line 1: logfile: Permission denied
> server starting

Since you did not specify the full path for the log file, I assume it
is created in the current directory. Check your permissions there.

> acorn$ postgres
> postgres cannot access the server configuration file
> "/Library/PostgreSQL8/data:/postgresql.conf": No such file
> or directory
>
> Surely initdb should have created the configure file?

Change to the data directory and see what is there. If you don't see
lots of folders along with pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf, then
initdb did not work.

At the risk of sending you down another path when you are close, you
might want to look at this distribution and instructions:

http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/

If you still don't have initdb working, you might want to rename your
postgres user and create a new one as described in these instructions.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL