Re: What Do I Need to Get Started with PostreSQL for Win32 (version 8.0)

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: "Van Ingen, Lane" <lvaningen(at)ESNCC(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What Do I Need to Get Started with PostreSQL for Win32 (version 8.0)
Date: 2005-01-20 20:58:26
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Jan 20, 2005, at 3:28 PM, Van Ingen, Lane wrote:

> I visited the web site and downloaded version 8.0 rc5 for Windows.
>
> Didn't see anything telling me what to download, so I selected what I
> think I needed from the ftp site:
>
> /binary/win32: took postgresql-8.0.zip  (didn't take the .sig file,
> don't know what it is)
> /dev/doc: not sure what to get here; couldn't read the doc with
> notepad, it lost a lot of formatting.
>     Found a file, and unpacked it as best I could, found I needed
> something called docbook2man.
>     Got the tarball unpacked by a friend. Looks like I need a Unix box
> to do this, don't have one.
>     (see related question at end of message*)
> /latest: downloaded none of this directory.
> /odbc/versions.full: took most recent date (psqlodbc_07_03_0200.zip)
> /pgadm3/release/v1.2.0/: took win32 version
> /projects: didn't know if any of this was useful to me or not, didn't
> take any
> /source and /src: assumed I didn't need this unless I wanted to play
> with program code
> /stable-snapshot: didn't download, didn't know what it was for
> /v8.00: didn't know what this was, didn't download since I appear to
> have binary from /binary
> /win32: didn't take any of this; as the zip files look like the same
> name, file size, and date of what I
>     downloaded from /binary
>
> QUESTIONS:
> Did I get it all?

I think you only need the file, which you probably already have.

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp?
file=win32%2Fpostgresql-8.0.zip

If I recall, it has pgAdminIII included.

> Anything else I should have to get a basic site up for the first time?
> Any other admin tools recommended?
> No install instructions found. Where do I start?

It is a binary installer, I think.  Just double-click on it.  It will
be uncompressed.  Then, click on the installer.  I haven't done this in
a while on a PC, but I think it is pretty straightforward, just like
installing any other program for Windows.

> * Where can I get the docs for 8.0 without using Unix? Found a PDF for
> 7.4.2, is that close enough?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/

HTH.