Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III

From: "claus" <ch(at)greenmail(dot)ch>
To: "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>,"Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III
Date: 2003-08-15 15:39:53
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Is there still some hope :-))

Adam H. Pendleton wrote:
> I assume when you say that sorting the rows would require a re-query,
> you are referring to a new SQL statement with a "ORDER BY" clause.  I
> think what he's asking for is perfectly do-able without a new query.
> Since the rows are stored in a grid control of some sort, then you
> should be able to sort the rows using the function of that grid control
> itself.  This sort would have *no* impact on the actual data, where it
> is in the database, etc.  I would imagine that this sort of this would
> be possible only if the wxWindows control used to display the data
> supported it.  I will do some reasearch and see if it can be done.

That is when I said that data is around in some form.
I just tested a table with 13000 entries ...
after "refreshing" it **realy** seems to me all data is  on my PC.
When scrolling there is absolutely **no** freeze, flicker or
other indication of data being fetched in a lazy way.
Also the sliders of the grid indicate perfectly where are in the
data ... ok that might be done using a "total row count" value.
For those who worked with tools doing on demand row fetch.
(I think Delphi 3 Datamanger and Free Toad for Oracle)
they know what I mean.

Regards, Claus