Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From: Ben Prescott <benedict(dot)prescott(at)virgin(dot)net>
To: Art Fore <afore(at)sonic(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0
Date: 2003-01-26 23:16:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

Seems most likely it isn't running.

OK ... my checklist (documented 'cos I knew I'd forget it!!)

# ensure /var/lib/pgsql/data is mounted
# switch user
su - postgres
# (verify $PGDATA is accurate)
# not sure what this does :o(
initdb
# start postgresql; eg:
pg_ctl -l /full/path/for/logile start
# or via the script in /etc/init.d

if postegresql isn't running, you'll need to load it into the startup
environment. Yast2 has a runlevel editor. Its under 'system' - fire it up,
and edit the current level. Find the pgsql, select it, and then tick the '3'
and '5' boxes. This will start it whether or not your system boots with X
running.

hth, Ben.