Re: test / live environment, major performance difference

From: "Dave Dutcher" <dave(at)tridecap(dot)com>
To: "'Christo Du Preez'" <christo(at)mecola(dot)com>,<pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: test / live environment, major performance difference
Date: 2007-06-12 14:28:11
Lists: pgsql-performance

Yes I'm reffering to settings in postgres.conf.  I'm wondering if
enable_indexscan or something got turned off on the server for some reason.
Here is a description of those settings:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/runtime-config-query.html

So when you move data from the laptop to the server, I see that your script
correctly runs an analyze after the load, so have you run analyze on the
fast laptop lately?  Hopefully running analyze wouldn't make the planner
choose a worse plan on the laptop, but if we are trying to get things
consistant between the laptop and server, that is something I would try.

If the consistancy problem really is a problem of the planner not using
index scans on the server, then if you can, please post the table definition
for the table with a million rows and an EXPLAIN ANALYZE of a query which
selects a few rows from the table.

Dave