Re: Visio ODBC winnt Linux question

From: John Taylor <postgres(at)jtresponse(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Duncan Adams (DNS)" <duncan(dot)adams(at)vcontractor(dot)co(dot)za>,Pgsql Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Visio ODBC winnt Linux question
Date: 2002-03-22 19:41:58
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Friday 22 March 2002 09:18, you wrote:
> hi all
> We have a postgres database on a Linux server.
> Now the powers that be have decided that they want us to look into
> connecting the postgres database to visio drawings, the persons viewing and
> working on the visio drawing will have winnt box's.
> My problem is
> 1. i have no idea if this is feasible or even where to look to start on this
> problem.
> 2. how do i set up ODBC drivers from winnt to the Linux-postgres.

There are ODBC drivers that work well, and are very easy to setup.
I have them running on my NT4.0 box without any problems.
Get them from:

> 3. will i have to set up ODBC drivers to all people using Visio.

You will need to setup ODBC on all machines that need Vision to talk to postgres.

> 4. or can i get visio to sort of make a static drawing that people can view
> with out having to connect to postgres.

That will depend on Visio.
You could probably use Object Linking or some such to embed static objects.