AW: [HACKERS] char types gone.

From: Zeugswetter Andreas <andreas(dot)zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>
To: "'The Hermit Hacker'" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: AW: [HACKERS] char types gone.
Date: 1998-03-23 17:34:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

You seem to be getting me wrong, right from the start. I appreciate your work on removing
char2-char16. I also think it is the correct step. You have the hackers behind you, the discussion was
about 2 - 3 weeks ago. I was part of it. There are three things that will need documentation:
1. the replacement for char16 is char(16)
2. char(16) gives and ignores trailing blanks
3. refer to VARDATA(someparameter) to get your (char *) in a C function

Thomas wrote:
> > Same functionality, better performance...
> Ah, he wasn't complaining, just saluting a retiring soldier :)

This description makes me happy. It is exactly what I wanted to express.

Gosh, I sure did not want to nag, sorry if that is how you interpreted it.

Andreas