More about large objects

From: "Gregory W Burnham" <gburnham(at)sfu(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: More about large objects
Date: 1999-02-02 04:43:44
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
According to the postgresql docs, (at

Originally, Postgres 4.2 supported three standard implementations of large
objects: as files external to Postgres, as UNIX files managed by Postgres,
and as data stored within the Postgres database. It causes considerable
confusion among users. As a result, we only support large objects as data
stored within the Postgres database in PostgreSQL.

Now I'm confused.  From what I'd gather from earlier today, Postgres used
external files.  Are the docs that out of date?

Gregory W Burnham
Software Engineer
Excite Labs
Faculty Of Education
Simon Fraser University
Vancouver, BC, V5A 1S6
604 291 3615 (ph)
604 291 5679 (fx)

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Gregory W BurnhamDate: 1999-02-02 05:29:22