Re: License for PostgreSQL for commercial purpose

From: "Peter Galbavy" <peter(dot)galbavy(at)knowtion(dot)net>
To: "Eric Yum" <eric(dot)yum(at)ck-lifesciences(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: License for PostgreSQL for commercial purpose
Date: 2004-03-28 11:25:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

Eric Yum wrote:
> http://www.postgresql.org/licence.html

You should get your local legal professional to give an opinion if you
intend to redistribute. One specific area of contention amongst "BSD
license" people is the phrase:

"... for any purpose, without fee, and ..."

Some opine that this means the software in question can *only* be
distributed without charging a fee, whilst other have claimed that this
(should) be read as "... for any purpose, with or without fee, and ...",
perhaps dropping the ", without fee" altogether to retain its potentially
originally intended meaning.

The problem is that intent is never simple to convey in legal terms. Until
this is tested in court, you can only get opinions.

PS I am waving my opinion over BSD style licenses in general and not just
the PostgreSQL project. Each copyright owner can choose to do whatever they
like.

Peter