Re: search.postgresql.org

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: search.postgresql.org
Date: 2006-03-25 23:10:37
Lists: pgsql-www

-----Original Message-----
From: "Oleg Bartunov"<oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Sent: 25/03/06 20:49:25
To: "Dave Page"<dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com"<jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us"<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org"<pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] search.postgresql.org

> Also, is't possible to group results by sites

It does, when appropriate.

> ? This could soften effect of incorrect
> ranking. At www.pgsql.ru/db/pgsearch we > have no manual weight correction and
> trust authors of web pages.

The config being shown is the one used for the main www.postgresql.org site search, thus results from that site are favoured over external sites. The archives are ranked even lower because of the potential for additional noise.

www.pgsql.ru is a generic search where lack of weightings and trusting authors makes sense. search.postgresql.org provides site searches aimed at users coming from different perspectives of our site network and we compliment the site results with the external results for added value.

Regards, Dave

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
I don't understand all this thread. Manual intervention brings to nothing
all search engine ranking and usually produce very bad results.
Is't possible to use citations ?

Also, is't possible to group results by sites ? This could soften effect
of incorrect ranking. At www.pgsql.ru/db/pgsearch we have no manual
weight correction and trust authors of web pages.

Oleg

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

match