how good is PostgreSQL

From: "Arnold Gamboa" <arnold(at)php4us(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: how good is PostgreSQL
Date: 2000-10-31 05:25:04
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi,

For users of large PostgreSQL and PostgreSQL builders, this is for you.

I'm having a terrible time deciding now. :(

We're about to build a "huge" website now. I got tied up in signing the
contract without really getting enough information about PgSQL since this
what we plan to implement with PHP (normally we use mySQL but i guess it
does not fit for huge databases like that).

Here's my problem.. We're about to build a site like hitbox.com where there
is a large amount of database required.. If say there is 100,000 users with
1000 page hits per day for each, and everything will be logged, you could
imagine how huge this will be. I'm just so "nervous" (really, that's the
term) if we implement this and later on experience a slow down or worse than
that, crash in the server.

My questions are:
1. What is the limit for number of records in a table WITHOUT SUFFERING SLOW
DOWN.
2. ....limit in number of tables per database
3. ... limit in number of database.

Thanks for you comments. I would really appreciate every comment that I'll
receive regarding this.

Arnold