Install or Bust - pgsql on Red Hat 9

From: "Phil Seretti" <phil(at)postsoundcorp(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Install or Bust - pgsql on Red Hat 9
Date: 2004-01-28 05:06:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello All,

I'm a virgin newbie to Linux and PostgreSQL but have very much experience in - (whispered) sssh, Windows.

I have downloaded the Red Hat 9 errata corrected RPMs of pgsql - including the missing "odbc" package they left off the site (13 rpms in all).

They seemed to unpack with no issues. Following Red Hat's PostgreSQL Configuration instructions, here is my terminal dialog;

[root(at)localhost user]# postmaster -i > logfile 2>&1 &
[1] 2884
[root(at)localhost user]# createdb -h localhost -E UNICODE mydb
bash: createdb: command not found
[1]+ Exit 127 postmaster -i >logfile 2>&1

I have been searching around and looking through this list and tried the "initdb" method with a similar "command not found" result. I had to hand create the "/usr/local/pgsql/data" structure - not sure if that was a wise thing to do...maybe some file pointers did not get made.

It seems to me that something did not get installed, installed correctly or I should go back to windows - just kidding. I want to get this Linux down, get pgsql happening, add-on pgadmin III and start giving back to the community.

I've reached that point I'm sure we all have been to at one time or another - I don't trust myself, my knowledge or even my lack of it.

All help greatly appreciated -even the stuff that doesn't work - its the thought and friendship!

Phil
Its a Bitch Being a Newbie!