Re: ODBC Driver Failure- MS Access- Large record volume

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <greg(dot)campbell(at)us(dot)michelin(dot)com>, <rweber(at)pmc(dot)ucsc(dot)edu>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC Driver Failure- MS Access- Large record volume
Date: 2005-09-08 22:07:17
Lists: pgsql-odbc

-----Original Message-----
From: "Greg Campbell"<greg(dot)campbell(at)us(dot)michelin(dot)com>
Sent: 08/09/05 22:36:16
To: "Robin Weber"<rweber(at)pmc(dot)ucsc(dot)edu>
Cc: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org"<pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>

> By the way other list memebers, after
> installation is there a recommended way to
> determine the pgODBC driver version?

Look at the version column on the Drivers tab in the driver manager.

FWIW, there have been a number of leaks fixed in the recent libpq snapshots. It would be worth trying 08.01.0003 (which has a temporary name, so DSN changes will be required from non-libpq versions).

Regards, Dave

Regards, Dave

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
Hello and welcome Robin,
I find the key to getting help is giving enough information.

You might answer a few questions.
1. What version of the ODBC driver are you using? (I found my version using REGEDIT to key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products)
2. What version of Access are you using?
3. What Access library are you using -DAO or ADO?
4. Since Access is typically interactive, how are you transacting these millions of records, reading a
file or is some external device driving Access?
5. Are you connecting though the Access objects (normal queries and tables), or using pass-through?
6. What version of Postgres server are you using? Linux or Windows?
7. Is logging turned on at the server? (e.g. pg_ctl start -l my_pg.log)

By the way other list memebers, after installation is there a recommended way to determine the pgODBC
driver version?

Robin,
Before knowing any of these answers I can say
the ADO Connection object is your means of "opening and closing" the ODBC (or OLE/DB) driver. Open and
close often is the rule of thumb for interacting with server database. There is typically caching going on
for recent connections, so the opening a new connection is not the resource hog it might seem. If all that
is ok, you may indeed have a pgODBC driver version with a leak.

And as a complete aside because it has bitten me too many times, set the Jet ConnectionTimeout under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Jet 4.0\ to 0 (never timeout). A jet connection
(linked table) will loose connectivity after a default time of 60 minutes of inactivity unless this key is
set to some other value (longer or shorter) or 0.

Refreshing linked tables is also do-able. You should be able to google it or write back and someone will
no doubt expound upon it. The Access (version) Handbook's from Sybex are excellent references for the
mundane to the arcane.