Backup setup

From: "Gabor Siklos" <gabor(at)karamaan(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Backup setup
Date: 2008-04-23 15:14:32
Lists: pgsql-general
I need to back up our database off-site for disaster recovery. If I just
back up the entire database data directory (i.e. /var/lib/pgsql/data) will I
be able to restore from there? Or should I instead just dump the data, using
pg_dump, and back up the dump?
The advantage of the first method would be that I would not have to wait for
pg_dump (it takes quite long on our 60G+ database) and would just be able to
configure the backup agent to monitor the data directory and do differential
backups of the files there every hour or so.
Your suggestions are much appreciated!
-Gabor

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Pavan DeolaseeDate: 2008-04-23 15:18:28