Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System
Date: 2003-01-29 17:54:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

*sigh*

Often there isn't a choice of OS. If I am selling to a large enterprise
whose corporate standards say they will only run Windows in their data
center, my chances of getting them to make an exception are none. But my
chances of getting them to install Pg just for my application are far
greater. Would I prefer *nix? You betcha. Would I break a deal over it? No.
Would I prefer to be able to recommend Pg over, say, Oracle, or MS-SQL?
Absolutely. I'm not alone.

I don't care how it's built. I have a lot of sympathy for the folks saying
make the build process universal, rather than having a special one for
Windows. Requiring cygwin shouldn't be a big deal. You aren't going to get a
sudden flood of *nix-ignorant windows developers rushing in, no matter what
you do.

I've been mildly surprised and disappointed by the venom I detect in this
thread. I want to be able to recommend a single Db to my customers no matter
what OS they run. MySQL just doesn't do it, SAPdB is a nightmare, Pg is my
last hope other than a proprietary system. If you are an OpenSource zealot,
think of this as an opportunity to get some into places where it is often
anaethema.

cheers

andrew