ok you all win what is best opteron (I dont want a hosed system again)

From: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL Perform" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ok you all win what is best opteron (I dont want a hosed system again)
Date: 2005-05-13 19:27:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

We are up and somewhat happy.

I have been following threads (in case you don't know I bought a 4 proc Dell
recently) and the Opteron seems the way to go.

I just called HP for a quote, but don't want to make any mistakes.

Is the battery backed cache good or bad for Postgres?

They are telling me I can only get a duel channel card if I want hardware
raid 10 on the 14 drives.

I can get two cards but it has to be 7 and 7 (software raid?) which does not
sound like it fixes my single point of failure (one of the listers mentioned
my current system has 3 such single points).

Any of you hardware gurus spell out the optimal machine (I am hoping to be
around 15K, might be able to go more if it's a huge difference, I spent 30k
on the Dell).

I do not have to go HP, and after seeing the fail ratio from Monarch from
one lister I am bit scared shopping there.

Was there a conclusion on where is best to get one (I really want two one
for development too).

Joel Fradkin

Wazagua, Inc.
2520 Trailmate Dr