Re: [GENERAL] Slashdot: SAP and MySQL Join Forces

From: "Nicolai Tufar" <ntufar(at)apb(dot)com(dot)tr>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Slashdot: SAP and MySQL Join Forces
Date: 2003-05-26 15:33:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-general
> In case you've not checked out Slashdot in the last day or two:

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/05/23/1826202&mode=thread&t
id=137&tid=198

> I tend to agree with the viewpoint that getting anything useful out of
> such a merger will be a difficult project.

It is impossible to merge MySQL and SAP/DB. SAP/DB is written in Pascal.
And the source code is unreadable and very ugly. MySQL group can easier
borrow from PostgreSQL source.

The end product will be called MySQL and I doubt that SAP AG will let
MySQL AB to use SAP name to further promote the product. So people soon
will forget tat it was SAP's database once. So MySQL will nither benefit
from
technology nor from brand recognition.

> Anyone suppose they both felt they had to do this because they were each
> losing ground to Postgres?  If they do make a successful merger of the
> best parts of each DB, they'll certainly become a much better combined
> competitor ...

SAP/DB was the only free database for Win32 that supported transactions.
Now, as it is discontinued I think it is an unique chance for PostgreSQL to
establish dominance on Win32 platform. It will be long time before MySQL
will get rid of it's fame as unrliable database. We must act now.

> regards, tom lane

Nick.