postgresql and msaccess

From: DI Irina Hasenöhrl <i(dot)hasenoehrl(at)aon(dot)at>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: postgresql and msaccess
Date: 2001-03-08 23:00:34
Lists: pgsql-odbc
hi,
I'm a beginner in postgresql but I'm familar with Msaccess. Now I use postgresql 7.0.2 as backend and Msaccess as frontend via ODBC 6.5.
I studied many mailinglists and books, but I didn't find answers for the following questions:
  a.. I don't know if it's correct, but for me it looks like, that Msaccess "copies" all rows from a table to the Jet engine when i use a form with a joined table. I think, that this is a very slow solution for operating with large tables. Can anyone tell me, how I can realize a serverside cursor?
  b.. I have two tables f.e. table article(a_nr integer primary key,
                                                   a_bez varchar(3),
                                                   a_price float8) and
                                 table client(t_nr integer primary key,
                                                  t_name varchar(30),
                                                  a_nr integer references article on update cascade)
  now I want to develope a "main-form" which shows one client and in the "sub-form" there should be the articles corresponding to the client. It's easy to realize this with the Jet-engine, but I'm interested to do this with a serverside solution. Is it possible?
  c.. when I start msaccess two times ( front1 and front2) and open the same forms in both frontends and update an "article" in front1 this update is transferred to front2. But when I add a new "article" in front1 this new "article" doesn't exist in front2, I have to start the form again in order to see the new article. Please can anyone tell me why?
I hope you can help me, because I don't know where I should search to get answers to my questions. I'm thankful for all links, tips and informations I can get.

Many thanks in advance

Irina
i(dot)hasenoehrl(at)aon(dot)at

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: John HatfieldDate: 2001-03-08 23:09:52