Re: beta testing version

From: "Gary MacDougall" <gary(at)freeportweb(dot)com>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, "Don Baccus" <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "PostgreSQL Development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: beta testing version
Date: 2000-12-03 20:29:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I think this trend is MUCH bigger than what Postgres, Inc. is doing... its
happening all over
the comminity. Heck take a look around... Jabber, Postgres, Red Hat, SuSe,
Storm etc. etc.
these companies are making good money off a business plan that was basically
"hey, lets take some
of that open source and make a real product out of it...". As long as they
dribble releases into
the community, they're not in violation... Its not a bad business model if
you think about it, if you
can take a product that is good (great as in PG) and add value, sell it and
make money, why not?
Hell, you didn't have to spend the gazillion R&D dollars on the initial
design and implementation,
your basically reaping the rewards off of the work of other people.

Are you ready for hundreds upon hundreds of little projects turning into
"startup" companies?
It was bound to happen. Why? because money is involved, plain and simple.

Maybe its a natural progression of this stuff, who knows, I just know that
I've been around
the block a couple times, been in the industry too long to know that the
minority voice never
gets the prize... we usually set the trend and pay for it in the end...
fatalistic? maybe. But not
far from the truth...

Sorry to be a downer... The Red Sox didn't get Mussina....