OID - constantly increasing/ what about the gaps?

From: "Thomas Weholt" <thomas(at)cintra(dot)no>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: OID - constantly increasing/ what about the gaps?
Date: 2000-06-27 23:20:58
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi,

A simple, almost stupid, question :

Does the OIDs allways, without exception no matter what I do, increase?
If I insert a lot of records, delete some of them, inserted more the OID would be :

( about ) 18000 + number of inserted + more records

I mean, the gaps from the deleted records won`t be filled? So I can use this as a measure for new records for example. I could keep track of OIDs when users access a page generated with data from my database, when they return I give them all the rows with OIDs higher than the one I stored at their last visit.

Do I make sense? Damn, I`m tired!

Thanks anyway.

Thomas

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Stuart UrbanDate: 2000-06-28 03:22:38