Disabling bgwriter on my notebook

From: "Michael Paesold" <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Disabling bgwriter on my notebook
Date: 2004-09-17 19:46:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Reposted, I did not see the mail come through...
(Lists working ok?)

Hi everybody,

I have started testing PostgreSQL on windows. Now that I have managed to
import a dump of one of our production databases to postgres on my notebook,
there is one issue that came up immediatly after running VACUUM FULL:

pgwriter is keeping my disks busy and disturbs me :-(. The more I like
pgwriter for a production system, the less I like it on my desktop during
developement.

So I thought I would just be able to disable this, but that seems not the
case.

#bgwriter_delay = 200 # 10-5000 milliseconds
#bgwriter_percent = 1 # 1-100% of dirty buffers
#bgwriter_maxpages = 100 # 1-1000 buffers max at once

bgwriter_percent can't be set to 0, neither can bgwriter_maxpages be, nor
can I set bgwriter_delay to something like 15 or 30 minutes...

For sympathy or pity for developers who are using postgres on a laptop or
desktop system, I would suggest that this is classified as a "convenience
bug" and fixed in a reasonable way.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold