Boneheaded Setup?

From: "Shawn Pursley" <shawn(dot)pursley(at)acorncomputers(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Boneheaded Setup?
Date: 1999-08-24 15:38:28
Lists: pgsql-announcepgsql-generalpgsql-interfaces
I've currently got pgsql up and running but I have a couple of problems and
I'm wondering if someone can help me.

Here's what I'm getting where postgres should run the postmaster and powner
is the common user account:

[postgres(at)pusher pgsql]$ nohup postmaster > regress.log 2>&1 &
[1] 691
[postgres(at)pusher pgsql]$ su powner
Password:
[powner(at)pusher pgsql]$ psql template1
Connection to database 'template1' failed.
connectDB() failed: Is the postmaster running and accepting connections at
'UNIX
 Socket' on port '5432'?

I setup just about everything that the docs said to, staying away from root,
etc.  If I run that postmaster command from the powner user, then I can
access pgsql, but only as that user.

I'm trying to setup pgaccess and it is failing I believe due to this
problem.  It's giving me an error stating:
Is the Postmaster running (with -i) at localhost and accepting connections
on TCP/IP port '5432'?

Here my setup
Linux Mandrake 5.2
pgsql 6.5.1
pgaccess 0.93

TIA

Shawn Pursley(shawn(dot)pursley(at)service-transport(dot)com)
Network Administrator
Service Transport
800 528 1616 x 240