Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

From: "Wes Williams" <wes_williams(at)fcbonline(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?
Date: 2005-10-31 19:51:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Precisely the point I was trying to make sure everyone would understand
clearly. Although I don't have a copy of Oracle's suspected new license, if
it is close to the existing license verbiage, even though it is "crippled"
by having certain hardware and software limits, those limits are per
physical server. Therefore, anyone could simply deploy several
installations on different physical servers and have quite a collection of
Oracle databases.

One of Oracle's big selling points with this application is that it is very
painless to upgrade to their professional versions of their database by not
requiring ANY change to the existing database or applications - simply plug
your data in and go.

Judging from this, Oracle has decided to follow Microsoft's SQL Server's
free SQL program offer and also a lesson from your local crack dealer. By
the way, I've tried both Microsoft's and Oracle's developer versions and
Oracle has a MUCH better product here at the moment. Good luck even getting
SQL Server installed! You have to stumble upon the "right" beta for .Net 2.0
before the installer will proceed...it managed to find it in only 45
minutes! Enough to make you kick yourself again for trying a Microsoft
product. However, Oracle 10g Express Edition actually installs and performs
quite well.

All and all this is no "danger" to PostgreSQL's existence; though it may
slow uptake in very important markets. I've never thought marketing was
Postgre's strong point...oddly enough, the product is.