Re: 7.5 change documentation (was Re: cache control?)

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "'Postgresql Hackers'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: 7.5 change documentation (was Re: cache control?)
Date: 2004-01-28 00:31:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Bruce Momjian wrote
> >Tom Lane wrote:
> > >"Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > > If the TODO-list-with-dash isn't the correct place to have looked,
is
> > > there another list of committed changes for the next release?
> >
> > We tend to rely on the CVS commit logs as the definitive source.
You
> > can pull the info from the CVS server (I use cvs2cl.pl to format the
> > results nicely), or read the archives of pgsql-committers.
> >
> > In theory there should be a section at the head of release.sgml
> > mentioning the major changes done-so-far, but for various reasons
this
> > hasn't gotten installed in the 7.5 branch yet. (Look at the CVS
> > versions during 7.4 development to see how we did it last time.)
> >
> > As far as the ARC change goes, I believe Jan still considers it a
> > work-in-progress, so it may not be appropriate to list yet anyway.
> > (Jan, where are you on that exactly?)
> >
> > > Do we need such a list? (I'd be happy to compile and maintain this
if
> it
> > > agreed that it is a good idea to have such a document or process
as
> > > separate from TODO - I'll be doing this anyway before I pass
further
> > > comments!)
> >
> > If you wanted to go through the existing 7.5 commits and write up a
> > new done-so-far section, it'd save someone else (like me or Bruce)
> > from having to do it sometime soon ...
>
> Doesn't Robert Treat's News Bits list all the major changes weekly?
> That would b e a good source.

Bruce - The excellent work that both you and Robert do is a slightly
different view to what I had in mind - I agree they are all aspects of
the same information. I'm posting a first output of this now, so we can
discuss whether such a thing is useful, and or whether it can ever be
all of useful/accurate/timely.

I'll happily add this to the HEAD of release.sgml, though lets agree the
content/direction first, before I spend time on a more formal
publication mechanism.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs