Re: Feature Request for Debugging SQL in PGAdmin3 when SQL contains variables

From: "Dan Shoubridge" <dan(dot)shoubridge(at)autovhc(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Paragon Corporation'" <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature Request for Debugging SQL in PGAdmin3 when SQL contains variables
Date: 2010-11-17 11:22:29
Lists: pgadmin-support

>>Dan,
>> Ok, I understand and it's a shame the vars aren't strong typed. It's
little things like that that make me want SQL Server back. It doesn't seem
like a big thing to some people, but for a lot of developers the amount of
work added by this when debugging sql adds up over time.

>I know it's a new invention in PostgreSQL 9.0 so might not be an option for
you, but wouldn't the new

>DO command do what you are looking for?

pgScript looks better for me atm, as you can have @ to specify variables, it
doesn't let you in anonymous code blocks - this defeats the object of
efficient debugging entirely (I'd have to remove the : from the sql than add
it again afterwards)

I tried the following:

DO language plpgsql $$
DECLARE x integer;
BEGIN
x := 7;
SELECT * FROM site WHERE sitecode = x;
END
$$;

but got the error

ERROR: query has no destination for result data
HINT: If you want to discard the results of a SELECT, use PERFORM instead.
CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function "inline_code_block" line 7 at SQL statement

ERROR: query has no destination for result data
SQL state: 42601
Hint: If you want to discard the results of a SELECT, use PERFORM instead.
Context: PL/pgSQL function "inline_code_block" line 7 at SQL statement

It looks like I need to declare the returning type, or specify to output to
the dataoutput window? But the documentation doesn't really expand on this
scenario, and there isn't any examples I could find through Google.