Postmaster Vr. 7.4.5 don't start on Cygwin 1.74

From: "Robson Richieri" <rrichieri(at)nexion(dot)com(dot)br>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postmaster Vr. 7.4.5 don't start on Cygwin 1.74
Date: 2005-08-04 14:27:04
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi, could anyone help me?

I upgrade Cygwin (the old version run Postgres 7.1.2 with no problem, using ipc-daemon) and followed the steps conform document "postgresql-7.4.5.README" v 1.56 2004/06/26 14:13:29.

I tried to install PostgreSQL type NT services under Win2000. From step 1 to 7, everything worked fine. At step 8, I had to login on Windows with user name "postgres" and the password I had determined when I created the "postgres" user account (step 2), because I could NOT simulate command "su" on Cygwin (I didn't have a service to authenticate ssh conection, nor the command "RunAs" worked well: it always reported that the user or password was invalid!).

NOTE: my computer runs Win2000 on a private network with a Linux Server running Samba as a PDC (Primary Domain Controller). So, at this point, I logged the user "postgres" out of the domain, that is, I set up the domain as my local machine.

Ok, "initdb" finished succesfully. But, when I run the command on step 9 "cygrunsrv -S postmaster", after some time it returns the following error:

cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus: Win32 error 1053: the service did not answer to initial or control request on time

NOTE: after the number 1053 above, the translation is mine since the description of the error is in portuguese; sorry for incorrections.

When I looked at the window "Services" from Admin Tools of Windows, it showed a line "postmaster" with the status "starting". And this service only could be stopped using the Tools Manager of Windows by means of selecting the corresponding cygrunsrv process and forcing its stop. The use of option "-E" of cygrunsrv process did not work for the same reason: a time-out error!

Finally, the command on step 10 "cygrunsrv -Q postmaster" given before the stopping of the service, displayed the information bellow:

Service : postmaster
Current State : Start Pending <<<---- ?!
Controls Accepted : Stop, Shutdown
Command : /usr/bin/postmaster -D /var/postgresql/data -i

The Cygwin itself works very well, so what's wrong with PostgreSQL? I apreciate if anybody could help me to solve this problem.

Thanks, very much!

Robson Richieri
rrichieri(at)nexion(dot)com(dot)br