Oracle Style Data Dictionary views for PostgreSQL

From: cdbml(at)ns(dot)sympatico(dot)ca (Chris Brown)
To: <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Oracle Style Data Dictionary views for PostgreSQL
Date: 2001-05-10 22:22:56
Lists: pgsql-announce

Hello,

My name is Chris Brown and I've been an Oracle developer for about 7 years
but I'm really interested in PostgreSQL. I've just started a project at
greatbridge.org. I'm pretty excited about it and hope others may be
interested in pitching in as well.

This project has two focuses.

The first is to create data dictionary views that mimic Oracle's as close as
possible, hopefully allowing the vast set of Oracle tools, scripts and
knowledge to work with PostgreSQL. This will also ease migration from Oracle
to PostgreSQL. A first cut of these views are well underway and imported to
the project's CVS repository.

The secondary focus is to create a similar set of data dictionary views but
more closely match the PostgreSQL structures and have their own prefix.
These views would be easier to understand and work with than the under lying
pg_% tables. Much of the work can be borrowed from the Oracle mimicked
views. They won't include OIDs (that's my thought right now anyway) and
their names and columns will be self explanatory. These views will be
documented and include data diagrams. No work has been done in this area, as
I'd like to get some input from the community first. I hope to start a
conversation about how these views might be organized on the project's
mailing list: orapgsqlviews-general(at)greatbridge(dot)org(dot)

The URL for the orapgsqlview project is:

http://www.greatbridge.org/project/orapgsqlviews/projdisplay.php

To subscribe to orapgsqlviews-general(at)greatbridge(dot)org go here: