Driver uses always UTF-8?

From: "Robert Max Kramer" <RobertMax(dot)Kramer(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Driver uses always UTF-8?
Date: 2005-04-07 18:03:47
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Hello,

I want to substitue an existing DB2 to PG 8 and got a Problem. Much of our
applications are written in Cobol and are using ODBC Interface to get data.
With DB2, that runs.

The Problem is now in my Test Environment when I connect to PG that I can
read everything well except german umlaute (ä, ü,...). I always get "?" and
not the umlaut.
My database's encoding is LATIN1. Windows Codepage tried with 850 and 1252.

When I read with client-side encoding UNICODE, I got the umlaute, but I
cannot write them to PG. Wirte statements like INSERTs work with LATIN1
encoding.

But something that never worked is, when I send a statement which should
return values with umlaute in it and which have umlaute in a WHERE-clause.
like: SELECT...FROM...WHERE text='ä';

I have tested it under WinNT as well as under WinXP. Same problem. Does
anyone have an idea?

Greetings,
R M Kramer