Re: Allow WAL information to recover corrupted pg_controldata

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "'Alvaro Herrera'" <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "'Robert Haas'" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, 'C├ędric Villemain' <cedric(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "'Pg Hackers'"<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'Simon Riggs'" <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, "'Heikki Linnakangas'" <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, "'Andres Freund'"<andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Allow WAL information to recover corrupted pg_controldata
Date: 2012-11-05 14:38:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Monday, November 05, 2012 7:33 PM  Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I'm not sure what to do with this patch.  There was some resistance to
> the idea originally; then after some discussion, there was some
> apparent agreement that it might be useful on occasion.  Later, a patch
> was posted, but there was almost no review of it; except to say that it
> should probably be reworked on top of an hypothetical, future XLogReader
> feature.
>
> Since it doesn't look like we're going anywhere with it soon, I'm going
> to close it as returned with feedback.  Hopefully, if we get XLogReader
> in 9.3, we will have time to rebase this patch on top of that.  (I
> invite Amit to give Heikki's version of XLogReader patch a look.)

The patch for which Heikki has given comment
(https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=897) is already
moved to next CF.
This was not related to XLogReader. However as there is not much interest in
this feature, so it is okay.

> (It is very hard to track down vague references to old threads that
> aren't properly linked in new threads.  Please make sure to reply to old
> emails, or at least to give Message-Ids or URLs when starting new
> threads.  I am replying to one message of each old thread here.)

My mistake, I am sorry for that and I shall try to take care for future
work.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.