Re: License for PostgreSQL for commercial purpose

From: "Peter Galbavy" <peter(dot)galbavy(at)knowtion(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Eric Yum" <eric(dot)yum(at)ck-lifesciences(dot)com>,<pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: License for PostgreSQL for commercial purpose
Date: 2004-03-29 07:10:41
Lists: pgsql-admin
Tom Lane wrote:
> Neither of those readings is correct.  The correct interpretation is
> that the copyright holders (us and UCB, in the case of Postgres)
> aren't charging any fee.  This does not prohibit others from charging
> for their own efforts.

As I said in my original reply, intention has little bearing to (legal)
reality. The legal advice received by some, including the OpenBSD project -
so I understand, is that the wording is not clear enough and is open to

> To read it as prohibiting fees for redistribution would mean that, for
> example, no Linux distribution could include BSD-licensed software
> (at least not on CD sets that they charge money for).  I don't know of
> anyone who thinks that is appropriate or intended.

See for some of that project's view. This
specific issue if not discusses, but note that sadly PostgreSQL is not
distributed on the CD-ROm for this exact very reason. i.e.

I also note this exact issue was discussed last year on pgsql-general.